Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Non-Grad Options

Unfortunately, sometimes graduation from MHS doesn’t always happen for our students. This does not mean that the student will never earn a diploma, it just means we have to take a different path to the end goal of that diploma.

If a student is not able to complete all the requirements by June of their fourth year of high school, the counselor and family will meet to discuss other options which may include (if less than 30 credits is needed) summer school, SRJC courses, or online courses.  The plan may also include taking a test to earn a high school diploma.

Petaluma Adult School

High School Diploma & High School Equivalency

Aimee Jasa, Program Manager

415-680-5611, ajasa@petk12.ort

HSE Spanish Pathway-adult school program for EL students

California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE): 

The CHSPE is a test that, if passed, is equivalent to a high school diploma in the state of California.  Students need only be 16 or be in the second half of their sophomore year to register for the test.  The test costs $100.00 and is given three times a year at Sonoma County Office of Education.  If a student passes the test, and the student and his/her parents approve, the student would be able to drop SRHS as a graduate and no longer attend high school.  Note:  the student is not a SRHS graduate, but a state of CA graduate; therefore, the student will not participate in SRHS graduation. It is recommended that students who take the CHSPE also take the GED when they turn 18.

General Education Diploma (GED): 

The GED is a test, if passed, is equivalent to a high school diploma anywhere in the United States.  Students must be 18 to enroll for the test which is given regularly at SRJC at Plover Hall.  SRJC also has test practice classes to prepare for the exam.  To enroll in these classes, students cannot be concurrently enrolled in a high school.  Once a student passes the GED, they no longer need to attend high school.  Proof of passing the test must be brought into the counseling office in order to drop a student from high school.  Parent permission is not necessary as the student is an adult.  For more information on the GED and enrolling in the SRJC practice course, please visit the links below.

Youth Connections: 

Youth Connections (YC) provides academic instruction to help attain a High School diploma, workforce development instruction, and college & career mentoring support to out-of-school youth aged 16 to 24. Additionally, YC assists students in overcoming personal and emotional barriers which move them towards sustainable life-long employment.